Family Magic by Patti Larsen is a young adult paranormal novel that won 1st place in World’s Best Story contest and is published by Premiere. The tour runs August 3-31 with mostly reviews as well as author interviews and guest posts. Check out the tour page for more information.
Family Magic (Hayle Coven Novels #1)
written by Patti Larsen
published by Premiere, 2015
About the book – from Goodreads: Her mom’s a witch, her dad’s a demon and she just wants to be ordinary. But, when an insidious evil comes after her family, Sydlynn Hayle has to choose to be the normal girl she craves or step up, embrace her magic and save her coven from disaster.
Top Five Odd Things About Living in a Family with Both a Witch and a Demon
Poor Sydlynn Hayle. I feel for her, I really do. Her life is complicated enough being a teenager just trying to fit in at a new high school. Hers isn’t an ordinary life even outside the struggles of hormones and grades and soccer. Her mom’s a witch, her dad’s a demon and she just wants to be ordinary.
The cool part about Syd is how she integrates her crazy, paranormal family into her attempt to be normal. But, there are still a number of things she struggles with:
1. She’s part demon, part witch. And the two parts of her don’t exactly get along or work together very well for some reason. That means, when she loses her temper or gets excited, her demon side can pop out and take over momentarily, often with embarrassing or hilarious results.
2. Her closest friend is a demon teenager trapped in the body of a silver Persian. And he’s not very happy about it. Sassafras might be much older and wiser than her, but she’s tired of his bossy attitude and the way he wants to run her life.
3. Her little sister looks like a demon. Meira has to hide her appearance from normals every day, unlike Syd who looks human.
4. Her mother is the epitome of a coven leader, down to her silk blouses, pentagram necklace and flowing skirts. Could she be more embarrassing?
5. Her dad doesn’t live with her, at least not full time. He can only cross over into a stone effigy that the family keeps in the basement. For the majority of the time, the demon lord Haralthazar (Harry) lives on his own plane of Demonicon.
Add to the above the fact her powerful grandmother is crazy, her uncle and his girlfriend are vampires who live in cupboards in her basement and she has to move to a new town on a regular basis so the family doesn’t get burned at the stake.
All in a day’s life for Sydlynn Hayle.
About the author: Patti is an award-winning author with a passion for the paranormal. Now with multiple series in happy publication, she lives in Canada with her patient husband and six demanding cats.