This contest is now over. We will let you know when the next one begins!
EFC Short Story Contest 2015
We want you to write something fresh, original, and no more than 10,000 words. We’re looking for a story with solid structure, content, and characterization, and we get really cranky about improper grammar. We can’t afford a translator, so stick to English when you’re writing, please.
Have fun and good luck!
The author(s) of the winning story will receive the following awesome stuff:
a $300 Amazon or Barnes & Noble gift card or PayPal cash
a $75 gift card for EFC Services, LLC
a featured post on everyfreechance.com, including the full text of your story and an author interview
a gig as a contributing Every Free Chance Books writer (optional)
a sweet EFC swag bag
The contest will run February 9 through October 31. Winners will be announced on December 1, 2015.
Submit the $10 entry fee via the PayPal Button
Email your short story to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
- To enter, please send your short story to email@example.com. You must also pay the $10.00 entry fee via the “Pay Now” button above. You may enter as many times as you wish, but you must pay the entry fee for each submission.
- All entries must be in English, fiction, original, and unpublished. In connection with your submission, you affirm, represent and/or warrant that (i) you own or have the necessary licenses, rights, consents, and permissions to use and authorize Every Free Chance Books to use all copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights in and to your submission to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the manner contemplated by these Contest rules; and (ii) you have the written consent, release and/or permission of each and every identifiable individual person in the submission to use the name or likeness of each and every such identifiable individual person to enable inclusion and use of the submission in the matter contemplated by these Contest rules.
- Deadline: You must submit your story by 11:59 p.m. EST on October31, 2015. Any entries after this date will not be considered.
- Word Count: Your short story can be no longer than 10,000 words. This count does not include the title, the byline, or your contact information. We will use MS Word to determine the word count of your entry. If it is over 10,000 words, we will not consider it.
- Entry fee: The entry fee is $10.00 (USD) per story. The entry fee is to be paid via the “Pay Now” button above. This button will direct you to PayPal. You can pay with your PayPal account. If you do not have a PayPal account, you can click the link that says “Don’t have a PayPal account?” and pay by credit card. Please include your PayPal transaction ID# in the email with your submitted story so that your payment and entry can be verified. No refunds will be issued for any reason.
- Story submission: This contest is open to all US and international writers. You may submit your story either in the text of the email entry or as a MS Word attachment. Please include your name and email address at the end of your story. You may submit more than one story. You must pay the $10.00 entry fee for each story submitted. You may write about anything so long as it is fiction. Erotica stories will not be accepted. Stories cannot be altered or substituted once they have been submitted. Every Free Chance Books reserves the right to reject and disqualify any submissions that could be offensive or inappropriate or that do not meet the terms and conditions of these rules.
- Winner(s) will be notified prior to December 1, 2015. The winner(s) will be announced on everyfreechance.com on December 1, 2015.
- The first place winner will receive a $300 Amazon gift card or PayPal cash, $75 gift card toward any service offered by EFC Services, LLC, a featured post on everyfreechance.com, including the full text of your story and an author interview, a position as a contributing Every Free Chance Books writer, and an EFC swag bag.
- Any additional prize(s) or winner(s) may be awarded by the judges as they see fit.
- As a contributing Every Free Chance Books (EFC) writer, you will have the opportunity to write book reviews, articles, and/or discussion posts and have them shared with EFC’s followers (well over 6,000 across various social media and blog subscriptions). These materials will be subject to review and editing by the EFC staff. This position is optional. The length of the writing position will be determined by the EFC founder and the winner. The writing position is unpaid. If the pieces do not meet the standards of EFC, the writing position will be terminated.
- The entries will be judged by Melissa and Chrissy of Every Free Chance Books. The judges’ verdict is final.
- Ownership/Use Rights: Entrants retain the copyright to their stories. However, by entering the EFC Short Story Contest, you hereby grant Every Free Chance Books a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, royalty-free, sublicenseable, and transferable license to print, publish, use, reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works of, and display your full name, short story, and photograph in connection with Every Free Chance Books’s (and its successors’) business, including without limitation in any media formats and through any media channels.
- Indemnity: By participating in the EFC Short Story Contest, you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless Every Free Chance Books and its members, parent, subsidiaries, affiliates and/or related companies and each of their officers, directors, shareholders, employees, advisors, assignees, agents, licensees, representatives, advertising, media buyers and promotional agencies from any and all damages, injuries, claims, causes of action, or losses of any kind (including but not limited to lawyers’ fees) arising from your participation in the EFC Short Story Contest, your violation of any term of these Contest rules, your violation of any third-party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right; or any claim that your submission caused damage to a third party.
- Submission of your story and payment of the entry fee is an acceptance of these terms and conditions.